top of page

Antique Houses


Kanaga Putnam Studio

“The Ice House”



A former ice house (now a remodeled home) next to a pond was the idyllic retreat for artists Consuela Kanaga (1894-1978) and Wallace Putnam (1899-1989) for almost fifty years. Purchased as eleven acres in 1940, their rustic loft-like home and studio became a weekend destination for such renowned artists as Milton Avery and Mark Rothko.


Putnam, whose work is represented in the collection of the Yale University Art Gallery, participated in many groundbreaking exhibitions of the early twentieth century.


Kanaga, one of the first female photo-journalists, counted among her friends and colleagues Alfred Stieglitz, Dorothea Lange and Edward Steichen, who selected her work for inclusion in the landmark “Family of Man” exhibition at the Museum of Modern Art in 1955. Her works can be viewed at the Museum of Modern Art, the Brooklyn Museum and in the households of the many local families she photographed over the years.


Tompkins-Scribner House


Once owned by Cortlandt Manor, this parcel reverted back to the crown after Stephanus Van Cortlandt’s death. It was then owned by John Watts Sr, whose wife, Anne Delancey, daughter of a Hugenot refugee, was loyal to the Crown. Originally part of a 200 acre parcel, it passed to Johns Watts Jr. upon his father’s death.


In 1789 Amos Tompkins purchased what was then a 146-acre farm from John Watts, Jr. Amos built the main part of the house in about 1830. He owned the farm until 1874, when it was willed to Amos L. Purdy. In 1898 Amos’ Purdy’s brother, George Purdy, sold the property for $7,500.00 to german immigranst Dorethea Wulf, and her husband Heinz.


In 1903 the farm was bought by Anne C. Scribner for $7,000. Anne was the wife of Hilton Scribner, a NY lawyer and insurance executive, who became NY Secretary of State. The Scribners renovated and restyled the house.


Hunterbrook Farm


Once owned by one of the original "MadMen," advertising executive Dan Rochford.


Dan was very active In Huntersville and was the founder of the Huntersville Association.


This is one of the oldest farmhouses on Hunterbrook Road

bottom of page